Breast cancer is the most common form of cancer that impacts women worldwide. It’s also the second most common type of cancer overall, and has a nasty reputation for causing 18.2% of all cancer-related deaths across the globe. If there’s one thing that women of all ages need to be aware of, it’s knowing how to prevent breast cancer to the best of your ability.
Since no one can completely protect themselves against the potentially devastating effects of breast cancer, or any form of cancer for that matter – prevention is not a 100% guarantee. But, taking the proper steps to understand your risk, improve your level of fitness, and become conscious of which cancer-causing ingredients are entering your body may save your life someday.
This short and simple guide is designed to help you learn how to prevent breast cancer using a few easy health tricks that anyone can follow. You can share this guide with your friends, or send it to your loved ones.
Here’s everything that you need to know about breast cancer in the modern age, along with the best tricks that can prevent it from happening to you.
How to Prevent Breast Cancer Health Trick #1. Know Your Risk
- In the United States, roughly one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. It’s estimated that over 230,000 American women will be diagnosed with breast cancer each year, with over 40,000 of those cases resulting in death.
- In 2012, there were at least twice as many new cases of breast cancer in North America as there were in Africa. There is a substantially higher rate of breast cancer in Western nations in comparison to less developed nations.
- The abnormally high rate of breast cancer in the Western world is usually attributed to living a lifestyle of abundant alcohol consumption, uninformed eating habits, and long-term physical inactivity. Most women simply don’t realize that common lifestyle choices seen as normal could lead to breast cancer over time.
- Sometimes, breast cancer can occur due to completely natural reasons. If any of your close relatives have been diagnosed with breast cancer, for example, then you may be at a greater risk of developing the disease.
How to Prevent Breast Cancer Health Trick #2. Learn How Breast Cancer Begins
- The vast majority of breast cancer occurs in females. Breast cancer normally starts out in the lobes, where women produce milk while breastfeeding. Breast cancer can also spread to other parts of the body.
- The exact cause of breast cancer has not yet been scientifically proven. But, research shows that there is a direct link between hormones and breast cancer.
- Women who are exposed to the hormone estrogen for longer durations of time (often found in prescription medications, plastics like BPA, and even some popular natural foods) may be at a greater risk of developing breast cancer.
- It is also believed that eating a diet rich in saturated fats may lead to breast cancer in some women. Processed meats, preservatives, and artificial ingredients are other common factors that could be linked to breast cancer in otherwise healthy adults.
How to Prevent Breast Cancer Health Trick #3. Play It Safe
- “Prevention is the best medicine.” Eating a diet that is high in nutritious plant-based ingredients, avoiding harmful foods, and keeping physically active are some of the top preventionary measures that anyone can take to limit the chances of breast cancer occurring in the future.
- Performing a monthly breast self-examination is a great way to detect suspicious lumps and bumps early on. Keep in mind that having lumps in the breast region is fairly common among women, and only 20% of U.S. women find that lumps on their breasts are cancerous once biopsied. Always talk to your doctor at the first sign of noticing any unusual lumps or bumps.
- Those who face a higher risk of breast cancer may choose to undergo more frequent breast examinations by medical professionals. Mammograms are highly-recommended for all women beginning at age 45.
- Talking with an endocrinologist is another great way to learn more about your hormones, and receive medical advice tailored to your body and lifestyle.
How to Prevent Breast Cancer Health Trick #4. Know How Your Diet and Lifestyle May Contribute to Breast Cancer
- It’s estimated that diet plays a factor in 30% to 40% of all cancer cases. This means that breast cancer may be a preventable disease for people who aren’t genetically predisposed to the condition.
- Parabens, which are chemicals with estrogen-like properties, have been linked to patients with breast cancer. Avoiding food additives, cosmetics and personal hygiene products that contain parabens is an effective way to limit your exposure to these potentially dangerous chemicals.
- Getting more antioxidants and essential nutrients in your diet from fruits, vegetables and legumes is one of the best ways for people to improve their diet and potentially prevent cancer before it happens.
- If you are physically inactive for extensive parts of the day, then you could be increasing your breast cancer risk. Studies have made it clear that physically active women enjoy a smaller risk of getting breast cancer than women who aren’t as active.
- Some natural food ingredients like curcumin (found in turmeric) contain have been shown to “participate in antitumor processes in breast cancer cells”. Taking a daily dose of curcumin or turmeric is a priority for actively preventing breast cancer from happening.
How to Prevent Breast Cancer Health Trick #5. Use the Eat What Mobile App to Take Action
Image: Eat What on iOS
- Using a mobile app like Eat What (iOS, Android) is the easiest way to start eliminating harmful ingredients from your bloodstream and body (like the “E218” methylparabens commonly used to preserve many popular cosmetics).
- Because Eat What is a nutritional app that is conveniently available on your iPhone or Android device, you can easily use Eat What to scan products while shopping, and find out in seconds if what you’re about to purchase could contribute to breast cancer or illness.
- You can always use Eat What to search for ingredients manually or browse by category. It’s always worth knowing what you’re putting in your body, and Eat What helps you manage this process as easily as possible.
- Eat What is a one-time purchase that continues to grow with your lifestyle and diet. New ingredients are constantly being added to the Eat What database in order to provide you with the best “weapon” that you have to constantly protect yourself from breast cancer.
- An inexpensive “Anticancer Diet” plan may be purchased directly inside of Eat What to simplify your life. This diet plan will provide you with a complete list of the best ingredients to eat, and the worst ingredients to avoid when it comes to breast cancer.
Breast cancer can’t always be prevented. But, there is still a lot that you can do to fortify your body against the terrible disease.
If you can simply do your best to prevent breast cancer by avoiding harmful ingredients, becoming more physically active, and nourishing your body with beneficial ingredients – there’s a great chance that you will enjoy a lasting, energetic and healthy life.